Sunday, May 15, 2011

Big Potato


It was quite the weekend. We had Ellie's birthday party and I completed my first half-marathon! I had a really fun time. I ran in the Famous Idaho Potato Half-Marathon. It was a fun event that incorporated a marathon, 1/2 marathon, 10K and 5K. I have done several  5 & 10K's before but never anything longer.  Like I said it was a blast. I can't wait to do this event next year. The atmosphere was great. After the race is great because you are surrounded by people who have a sense of accomplishment. I also won't complain about the free chocolate milk. The race started at Lucky Peak and ended in AnnMorrison park. I am happy with my time. I set a personal record! Imagine that. My time was about 1:34:30. That was good enough to earn 37th place out of about 1000. The distance got to me late in the race and I couldn't quite keep up the my pace for the last couple miles. So averaged out I ran each mile in 7:12. I was so happy to be finished after those last two miles. Of course no race would be complete without a great t-shirt. So here I am modeling my new favorite t-shirt with nothing less than a great big Idaho potato on the front! Each of the finishers also got a medal. So my legs are very sore right now, but I'm so excited to get out there and run another race. I couldn't do all of this without my awesome wife who sacrifices some time with me so I can spent a couple hours for my long runs. Thanks honey!

3 comments:

Debra said...

GOOD JOB STEVE!!!! I'm so proud of you. Your time is amazing. And good job for finishing 37th that is really cool. I'm excited to hear more about it.

Becky Kent said...

Way to go Steve! My legs are sore just thinking about running that far and that fast and that much down hill!

Fernandez Family said...

That is awesome! Way to go!!!